Friday, February 6, 2009

Sea socks

This is what I've been spending most of my time on lately.

It's Society Socks (75% wool, 25% nylon) in colorway #218, "Caribbean," a Christmas gift from my mother. The woman obviously wants socks, and I am happy to oblige. The pattern is Merino Lace Socks from Favorite Socks. It calls for working them on two circulars, but I, ever the iconoclast, refuse to do so. Vivan las DPNs! Also, I don't even own any circulars, so I'd have to go out and buy them anyway.

I've been thinking of them as "Sea Socks"--the colorway, of course, and the middle panel (what will run down the front and back of the leg on the finished sock) looks like ripples in water to me.


What I don't understand is why knitting these takes so much less time than plain socks. I'm still working on the toe-up Regias, which are just plain stockinette. These have decreases and yarnovers and purling and so on--they should be slower! And yet, since taking these photos I've turned the heel and knit about half the foot. It's magic, I tell you.

No comments: