Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Moar mittens

I finished my mittens! And today, taking advantage of the sun (!!), I went outside for a photo shoot.

They're North Star mittens, from Knit Mittens! in Rowan Cashsoft DK. I recommend the yarn without reservation--it's very smooth, in that cashmerey way, but the knitted fabric feels pretty sturdy, for all it's quite drapey. I think it'll wear well for mittens.

The pattern, though . . . oy. I mentioned in my first post about these mittens that the chart had an error and that the instructions were confusing. This pair was knit from a different chart (as it was in a smaller size) . . . but THAT chart had an error as well. I also discovered several more typos in the instructions, and once again was completely baffled by the decreases to the extent that I just did as I pleased. They're very nice mittens, but I can't recommend the pattern at all.

I knit these in the smallest size because my last attempt produced mittens too long for my hands. I should have looked at the given sizes--these are still too long for me. I'll wear 'em regardless, but if I were to knit them again, I'd just start about eight lines farther up the chart when I came to the stranded knitting. Which is, in fact, so easy a solution that now I'm depressed for not thinking of it before I made mittens too long for my hands . . .

3 comments:

itsamonster said...

OMG, I gasped when I saw your pictures of the mittens. I have tried color works once, but that was enough for me. I can't do it very well. Those are amazing mittens.

Lanafactrix said...

*blush* Thank you! I think the yarn helped--it's very well-behaved.

Ily said...

Those are super-cute!