Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Brioche nom nom nom

Just in time for the April showers, Brioche and matching hat are done. (Yesterday was particularly bad--where is spring?!)

Pattern: Reversible Cabled Brioche Stitch Scarf. Yarn: Blue Sky Alpacas Alpaca Silk (50/50 alpaca/silk), colorways Plum (128), Amethyst (129), Wisteria (114), and Blush (133).


I worked the pattern exactly as written. To my great delight the brioche stitch disguised the color changes perfectly. I'll keep this in mind for future multiple-color projects.

If I had it to do all over, I would have gone down a needle size or two to account for the dk weight yarn. After washing, the finished scarf was a bit limper and more airy than I'd thought it would be. It's still very warm, but I think a tighter knit with less drape would have been more aesthetically pleasing. Also, it has a tendency to stretch out--I may reblock it to encourage more width.


Since I had more than enough yarn left, I whipped up a hat to go with. The pattern is on my Ravelry page, but knit at your own risk. It's mainly just instructions to myself and probably doesn't make any sense unless you're me. The hat was a little too small pre-washing, but knowing how the finished piece would react to a soak, I was okay with that. I pinned it out pretty severely.

No comments: