I designed and knit this hat over the Thanksgiving holiday. It's based on one sold at Old Navy; I reverse-engineered that hat, but didn't have quite enough yarn to make an identical version. I improvised, and I think it worked out very well.
The yarn was a gift from Superquail when she was living in China; it's 100% acryllic in a super-bulky-weight. Beyond that, I know nothing. I ran short on that, so I rummaged in the stash and came up with leftovers from a hat I made for Aspen a long time ago. I remember that it was 100% wool (very similar to Lambs Pride in the way it knits up) and handpainted, but I got nothing else. I finished the top of the hat in that and then Swiss-embroidered it over all the knit stitches in one row to make it look like I'd done it all on purpose. Here's a shot of the hat in use:
I'm quite pleased with myself. Now to decide whether I want to give it away or wear it myself . . .