Tuesday, August 3, 2010

New York, New York

A few weeks ago, I went to New York City for the first time ever. This probably wouldn't be so odd if I hadn't LIVED in New York for three years. (I lived upstate. It's far away from NYC.)

But anyway, of course I had to go check out Manhattan's best yarn store, Knitty City. And oh boy, did I get some pretties.

I have to say, when I first walked into the store, I wasn't super-impressed. The yarn is organized by weight (more or less), but multiple brands are shoved together on the same shelf, and the place is full to bursting. I really had to do some digging--although I was richly rewarded. And though several staff members were present in the shop (albeit I think they were taking a break from a class, maybe?), no one greeted or even acknowledged me until I spoke directly to them.
After that, though, I did have a nice conversation with one employee, who was very helpful, and I think the store's owner herself rang me up. And SHE was super--she complimented me on my taste in yarn, pointed out a few accessories that were fun, and showed every indication of being willing to talk to me all day; I didn't feel at all hurried. So although the beginning of my visit wasn't great, overall I was left with a good impression and would definitely go back.

And what did I buy, you ask? I bought yarn!

First is a skein of Sweet Georgia Tough Love Sock (80/20 superwash merino/nylon) in colorway "Nightshade." Just LOOK at that color saturation. When the Irishman saw this, he started muttering about socks. Maybe I can convince him he'd like to learn to knit . . .

And then . . . Sea Silk! I saw Sea Silk described on Rav once as "the Cadillac of lace yarns," and ain't it the truth. I've never knit with it before--I am SO excited! The picture doesn't do it justice, of course. I think the colorway is Nova Scotia, but it's hard to tell. (Incidentally, I kind of like it that Handmaiden doesn't label her skeins--it makes it more fun that way.)


So yes indeed--I had fun in New York . . . and I have the yarn to prove it.

No comments: