Saturday, August 7, 2010

Startitis, I has it

And in a big way. For so long I've been looking at the same two things--the stripey scarf and Irtfa'a, with a little sock and baby sweater knitting now and then. Now the stripey scarf is done, the baby sweater is done, Irtfa'a nears completion, and, sister, I am starting like crazy.

The first thing I started is a Lily of the Valley scarf from Knitted Lace of Estonia, in some of the Malabrigo Lace from a few weeks back. It is very soft and purty.


I'm concerned that the lace won't open up enough at this gauge, though. I went down two needles sizes from the pattern to account for using laceweight instead of fingering. Thoughts?

I also dragged my Papyrus shawl out of hibernation--I'm determined to finish the test knit and get the pattern out there. (I find it amusing that when I put it away I was so convinced I'd be going right back to it that I put it away complete with needles and row counter. I crack me up. On the other hand, it does save me the trouble of figuring out which needles I used and which row I was on.)


For now, I've managed to confine my actual starting of projects to just the lily scarf and the resurrected shawl. In terms of preparation, though, I've gone a bit off the rails.

This J. Knits* alpaca lace came to me already wound, a gift from Nyx, and I paired it with Fernfrost by Anne Hanson. I also strung some of the beads, as you see--they were also a gift from Nyx, who is determined to make me love beading.

I'm thinking the beads will go between the yarnovers in each fern; any suggestions?

Finally, I wound this knitswithsticks yarn, like, forever ago, with the intention of making socks for my friend Jennifer. And I've found the perfect (or so ~I~ think) pattern--the Be Mine socks from 2-at-a-Time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes. It has cabled hearts!


For the moment, I'm (mostly) still knitting Irtfa'a. But as soon as that's done--baby, I'm going to TOWN.

*Their website is apparently undergoing a redesign?

No comments: