A rather long time ago, my boss decided to do a mystery project KAL. I thought this was a fabulous idea, but of course I didn't get around to knitting the project while it was either a) a mystery or b) a KAL. I did knit it eventually, though:
The shawlette is designed for DK weight, and, wouldn't you know, I somehow managed not to have enough of any one DK in my stash to make it happen. Ridiculous, right? But what I DO have is laceweight, tons and tons of it.
This is Knit Picks Shimmer, colorway Shallows. This is my first time knitting with this yarn, and I'm very pleased--it has a lovely hand that's (frankly) as good as many luxury yarns I've used. Much more impressive than their all-wool laceweight.
I altered the pattern further after substituting the yarn weights. As it was going to come out much smaller in the lace yarn, I did two extra repeats of clues 4 and 5. (You can't see it in this picture, of course, but it'll be evident in the finished piece.) And since I'm not wild about ruffles--and since I was running a little low on yarn--I shortened the smocked mesh section and went straight to the picot bind-off rather than continue to the ruffled hem.
I'll block it sometime this week, then put a formal FO post.
I seem to be constitutionally incapable of knitting a pattern as written.