Friday, October 16, 2009

Socks: final destination

Here are the hibiscus socks, complete at last.


Pattern: Embossed Leaves Socks from Favorite Socks

Yarn: Great Adirondack Yarn Company Silky Sock (70/20/10 merino/silk/nylon), colorway Hibiscus. Size 0/2mm needles (down from the 2/2.75mm called for in the pattern).

These are now on their way to celebrate a dear friend's birthday--many more, Ms. Wiz!

I have to say, although it made pretty socks, I was disappointed in this yarn. There were tons of silk slubs and those little whatchamacallits where extraneous fibers get wrapped around the strand and have to be cut off--not the quality I expect for the price I paid. I also didn't much care for the way the colors fell against one another in the plain stockinette portions. Fortunately, the leaves broke them up really beautifully--a reason I like lace patterns for some variegated yarns. On the positive side, I think the socks will wear very well, between the fiber content and the really high twist of the yarn.


Thoughts on the pattern: as always with Interweave, the directions were crystal-clear and well-formatted. I always like a nice alternative toe, too. Maybe it's just my crankiness coming out, but I hate fussy cuffs. Twisted rib looks nice, but it doesn't look nice enough to justify how slow and tedious it is to knit, in my humble opinion. (Also, I think the cast-on was stupid. But I think every cast-on besides long-tail is stupid, so I probably shouldn't be listened to on that front.)

No comments: