Sunday, November 23, 2008

Instant gratification

If you want some, go knit a baby hat. It's like knitting a real-person hat, only all darling and wee and QUICK. And just when you get bored, you're decreasing!

I knit a hat for a friend's baby (congrats, Laurel!) earlier in the fall, and I had enough yarn leftover to knit another for my friend Jane's sister's little boy. Since I didn't yet know what gender the kid was when I knit the first hat, I chose neutral colors.* The yarn is Plymouth Earth Mainland in colors 1 and 3 (cream and tan).

This yarn is delicious--baby alpaca and silk. I'm wool-sensitive and can't wear many yarns next to my head or neck, but I could so wear this. I could wear a bra made out of this. Nice for baby heads. And nice to work with as well.

I used the Umbilical Cord Hat from Stitch 'n Bitch. It's a pretty good pattern--sort of over-written if you're an experienced knitter. (I spent way too long looking for what "pm" meant, as I assumed it was a fancy decrease or something. It meant "place marker.") It knits up quickly and easily, although of course I had to make it all fancy with the stripes. It turns out that striped i-cord is a bitch.

I'll get Jane's sister to send me a picture of the hat in action, so you can see how devastatingly cute it is. The pictures don't really do it justice.

*If I were an infant I think I'd get sick of pastels. "Just give me earth tones, Jesus," I imagine them saying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The hat is DARLING!! I can hardly wait to see it in person, so to speak. I may steal it from him and wear it myself--if only my head were smaller!

And I'm sure he greatly appreciates the lack of pastels. I know I would, were I a baby.

I will nag for pictures.

-Jane