Friday, November 19, 2010

Not-So-Magical Möbius

I don't know if this happens to other knitters, but I'm perpetually promising knitwear to people in order to prevent them from making bad decisions. Me and my housemate were at a chain clothing store when he fingered a machine-knit monstrosity and said, thoughtfully, "I should buy a scarf." I hastily promised him a scarf just to keep this from happening . . . which of course meant that I then had to make one, really and for true.

The wool he chose was this (on the right), a gift from SQ back when she was living in China. (Incidentally, yarn gifts are always welcome, but they will be hoarded for years until I judge them sufficiently mature. I can't just KNIT yarn that I'm given, that would be wasteful. Somehow. In my head. I guess.) It's very nice stuff. But there isn't a ton of it, and I knew I couldn't get anymore.


Because said housemate is a theoretical physicist, I of course had to knit him a möbius. I mean, duh. But traditional möbius construction just wouldn't work for this scarf. Not enough yarn! So I had to cheat and graft the ends together. It makes me a little sad. Maybe I should knit another möbius the real way, just for the hell of it.

On the other hand, I like the look of this one, don't you?

The pattern is coming very soon, but in the meantime . . .

Yarn: Zhonghua Wool (60/40 wool/acrylic . . . we think, 100g/skein), probably about 150 yards. Needles: US size 8/5.00.

1 comment:

AlisonH said...

Seed stitch! That is a sign of true love and sacrifice.